J.K. Rowling sues former assistant for alleged theft

J.K. Rowling is suing her former assistant for £24,000, roughly $ 31,000, for allegedly using the “Harry Potter” author’s money to go on shopping sprees. Rowling claims that her former employee, Amanda Donaldson, used her money to buy makeup and gifts. Donaldson has denied the accusation. 

Rowling says that Donaldson spent £23,696.32 on a business credit card and stole Harry Potter merchandise, reports the BBC. Donaldson worked for Rowling between February 2014 and April 2017 before she was fired for gross misconduct. 

Rowling claimed in the suit that Donaldson’s credit card was for “buying items in connection with business and personal affairs only.” Instead, Rowling alleges, Donaldson used the credit card for a number of luxury items without permission. Rowling says Donald spent nearly $ 5,000 at skincare store Molton Brown, nearly $ 2,000 at fragrance shop Jo Malone, and more than $ 2,000 at Starbucks. 

The author also says that Donaldson, who dealt with memorabilia requests from fans, pocketed Harry Potter toys for herself that amounted to approximately $ 4,000 worth of goods. Rowling said these were taken without her “knowledge or consent.”

Donaldson also allegedly spent more than $ 1,500 buying two cats and stole more than $ 10,000 of foreign cash from a safe. 

Donaldson responded that Rowling has “not suffered any loss and is not entitled to damages” from her.

Rowling’s spokeswoman said, “I can confirm J.K. Rowling has taken legal action against her former personal assistant, Amanda Donaldson, following her dismissal for gross misconduct involving a substantial breach of trust.

“As the case is not yet concluded we are not able to comment further and there won’t be any comment from J.K. Rowling.”

The case is due in court later this year.  

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Entertainment – CBSNews.com

Ariana Grande jokes about foreshadowing difficult year

Ariana Grande is laughing at herself for making a song called “No Tears Left to Cry.” The song was released in April, before her ex-boyfriend Mac Miller died in September and before she and Pete Davidson broke off their engagement in October.

On Wednesday night, Grande wrote on Twitter, “remember when i was like hey i have no tears left to cry and the universe was like HAAAAAAAAA b***h u thought.” She admitted on Thursday, though, that she has grown from her challenging experiences in the past several months. 

Last week, the coroner’s office in Los Angeles announced that Miller died accidentally on September 7 from a mix of fentanyl, cocaine and ethanol (alcohol). After Miller’s death, Grande said she was sorry she couldn’t save the “sweetest soul” who for so long was her “dearest friend.” Grande dropped out of a scheduled appearance on “Saturday Night Live” soon after; executive producer Lorne Michaels said it was because of “emotional reasons.” At the time, Grande hinted she was having a tough time, tweeting, “can i pls have one okay day. just one. pls.”

In mid-October, reports surfaced that Grande and Davidson split, which Davidson later confirmed. That weekend, the singer dropped out of a scheduled appearance at the F**k Cancer’s inaugural Barbara Berlanti Heroes fundraising gala, hours before news broke of the split. Grande’s manager, Scooter Braun, said at the event, “Someone I’m very close to was supposed to come to sing for you today, and because of things she’s going through, she couldn’t be here today. And while I was frustrated, being the manager, my wife, being who she always is, just looked at me and she goes, ‘She needs this time.'”

Over the weekend, Grande dropped her new single, “Thank U, Next,” in which she sang about her exes. The chorus of the song is “I’m so f**king grateful for my ex.” 

She mentioned both Miller and Davidson and sang, “And for Pete I’m so thankful / Wish I could say thank you to Malcolm / ‘Cause he was angel.”  

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Entertainment – CBSNews.com

Meg Ryan confirms engagement to John Mellencamp

Meg Ryan and John Mellencamp are engaged. The actress and musician rekindled their on-again, off-again relationship in 2017, reports ET. Ryan was spotted on Halloween sporting a diamond ring on her finger. 

On Thursday, Ryan confirmed the engagement on Instagram. She posted a doodle of herself with Mellencamp and captioned the post “ENGAGED!” 

It’s a great twist of fate for the “When Harry Met Sally” actress and the “Hurts So Good” singer. Just last March, Mellencamp claimed that his now-fiancée couldn’t stand him. He and Ryan started dating in 2010 and broke up five years later. 

Last March, Mellencamp said on Howard Stern’s SiriusXM radio show that it was unlikely he and Ryan would reconcile. The two have had an on-again, off-again relationship for years.

“Oh, women hate me. I loved Meg Ryan,” he said. “She hates me to death.”

He continued, “I think it’s because I’m a child. I throw fits, I gripe, I complain. I’m moody. Every bad thing that a fella can be, that’s me.”

In July, a source told ET that the two were dating again. Mellencamp has been married three times, and was dating Christie Brinkley in 2015 and 2016. Ryan was married to Dennis Quaid for nine years. 

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Entertainment – CBSNews.com