Last Updated Nov 7, 2019 7:27 PM EST
Under tight security Thursday, hundreds of people gathered for the first funeral for the nine American women and childrenin Mexico this week. A mother and her two sons were laid to rest, and more will be buried in the coming days.
The first victims of the ambush to be laid to rest were carried in coffins handmade by relatives, tailored to the small bodies of those who are gone: 2-year-old Rogan, 11-year-old Trevor and their mother, Dawna Langford, were buried. The six others will be laid to rest in their home towns.
Outside the funeral, there was a heavy police presence.
The horror of the massacre is palpable in voice messages family member Kendra Lee Miller sent to others. The messages were first obtained by CNN.
“Dear God, everybody pray. Officers just came and said my mom’s suburban is blown up, up on the — by the hill. Everyone, please pray,” they said. “Dear God, pray for us all.”
Robert LeBaron traveled for the funerals. “If we can’t protect our women and children, you’re no longer a country,” he said.
While Mexican officials believe the attack was a case of mistaken identity in a shootout between rival cartels, some family members — who say they’ve been threatened before — believe they were targeted.
For the eight children who survived the attack, the physical healing will come before the emotional. Family members released a, who is recovering from a shot to the chest and a grazed wrist. Seven-month-old Faith, who lost her mother in the attack, is now back with her father.
© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
A cryptic tweet from the President along with reports that the US will make a major announcement at 9 am ET set of a frenzy of speculation.
The announcement is said to be pending a positive identification of the body.
Members of a team from the Joint Special Operations Command carried out Saturday’s high-level operation after receiving actionable intelligence, according to sources familiar with the operation. The location raided by special operations troops had been under surveillance for some time.
The group has been terrorizing the Middle East and elsewhere in the world since rising in Iraq in 2013.
A speeding rail car on a rollercoaster flipped over mid-ride at a Mexican amusement park on Saturday, killing two people and injuring two others. The Mexico City attorney general’s office said two men aged 18 and 21 died of head and other injuries when the last car on the coaster derailed at the La Feria amusement park. Two women were hurt.
Preliminary investigations indicate a mechanical failure caused the car to come loose and fall from a height of 33 feet above the ground, said Ulises Lara López, spokesman for the attorney general’s office.
Authorities are treating the accident as a case of negligent homicide.
Video circulating on social media showed the car flipping nearly upside down and smashing into a metal loop on the rollercoaster. Images from the aftermath showed first responders attending victims and a single metal rail car on the ground, on its side, near blood stains.
The towering Quimera coaster in Chapultepec Park can be seen from afar in the capital, its three nearly vertical yellow and red loops visible from a major highway. The Feria park closed following the accident.
A vendor at the park told local news outlet El Universal that she saw a passenger thrown from the car, and that other riders hit their heads as the coaster advanced at high speed while dragging the flailing, final car.
The decades-old coaster, like many rides in La Feria, was featured at other parks around the world before finding a home in Mexico City.
Riverside, Calif. – One officer is dead, another in critical condition and a third has minor injuries after a shootout Monday that also killed the gunman, authorities said. Dozens of gunshots were fired near Interstate 215 in Riverside, east of Los Angeles.
CHP Assistant Chief Scott Parker told reporters at a Monday night news conference an officer who pulled over a white GMC pickup truck was filling out impound paperwork when the driver pulled a rifle of unknown caliber from the truck and began firing.
The officer was wounded but managed to call for help. He was airlifted to a hospital but succumbed to his wounds.
Authorities said CHP officers, Riverside police and sheriff’s deputies arrived and continued trading gunfire, with the suspect taking cover in the front of the pickup. Two other CHP officers were hit before the gunman was killed.
Police withheld the shooter’s name and said they don’t have a motive for the attack. It wasn’t clear why the car was stopped.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom extended his condolences via Twitter:
Riverside Police Chief Sergio Diaz told reporters officers’ body cam video and civilian eyewitness accounts would be part of the investigation of the shooting. “It was a long and horrific gun battle,” he said.
Video from the scene shows bullet holes in the front windows of two patrol cars and large holes blown in their back windows. What appeared to be an assault-style rifle was on the ground.
Two civilians were hurt – one was in another car and hit by flying glass that caused minor injuries, authorities said. The other civilian’s injuries also were minor.
Jennifer Moctezuma, 31, of Moreno Valley told the Los Angeles Times that she was driving home with her 6-year-old twins when a bullet flew through her front windshield.
Charles Childress, 56, a retired Marine from Moreno Valley, was in the car behind her.
He led the family as they crawled to the bottom of a bridge to hide and none were harmed, the Times reported.
“He’s my hero,” Moctezuma said.
Poway, Calif. — A shooting at a synagogue outside San Diego where worshippers were celebrating the last day of Passover on Saturday left one woman dead and three others injured, authorities said. San Diego County Sheriff William Gore said at a news conference that a white man entered Chabad of Poway and opened fire on worshippers with an AR-type assault weapon.
Gore said an off-duty Border Patrol agent believed to be inside the synagogue shot at the suspect as he fled. The sheriff said the agent didn’t hit him but struck his car.
San Diego Police Chief David Nisleit said the 19-year-old suspect called police to report the shooting and a California Highway Patrol officer heard it on a police scanner, saw the suspect and pulled him over. Nisleit said the suspect got out of his car with his hands up and he was taken into custody without incident.
Authorities said the suspect, who resides in San Diego, is being interviewed by homicide detectives and the FBI.
Gore said a woman died from her injuries, while a girl and two men are in the hospital. He said they are in stable condition.
Earlier, a source told CBS News that a rabbi was among the people who were shot.
The shooting came exactly six months since a shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue killed 11 people in the deadliest attack on Jews in U.S. history.
President Trump, on the way to a rally in Wisconsin, said “at the moment it looks like a hate crime.” He also tweeted about the off-duty Border Patrol agent who stopped the suspect.
“The Poway I know comes together,” Poway Mayor Steve Vaus said at a news conference Saturday. “We always walk with our arms around each other and we will walk through this tragedy with our arms around each other.”
The Poway sheriff’s department sent out a tweet saying the shooting occurred just before 11:30 a.m. Saturday. According to the Chabad of Poway Facebook page, the synagogue was holding a Passover celebration scheduled for 11:00 a.m.
Officials say San Diego County deputies were called just before 11:30 a.m. Four patients were admitted to Palomar Health Medical Center Hospital around 12:30 p.m., spokesman Derryl Acosta said.
A handful of police cars were parked outside the synagogue in the city of Poway, just over 20 miles north of San Diego. Crime tape surrounded the street in front of the building.
Passover began on April 19 and was ending Saturday.
In Pittsburgh, a truck driver who authorities say expressed hatred of Jews has been charged in the Oct. 27 rampage at the Tree of Life synagogue. He’s pleaded not guilty.
The co-founder of the popular app HQ Trivia, Colin Kroll, died of an accidental drug overdose, according to the New York City medical examiner.
A post-mortem examination revealed two kinds of fentanyl, heroin and cocaine in his system.
Police found Mr Kroll dead in his Manhattan flat in December after being asked to check in on him by a woman reported to be his girlfriend.
The 34-year-old was also the co-founder of the video platform Vine.
The medical examiner’s office ruled Mr Kroll’s 16 December death an accident, due to “acute intoxication” from the combined effects of the drugs.
Fentanyl – a synthetic opioid 80 to 100 times stronger than morphine – and a variant, fluoroisobutyryl fentanyl, were both found in Mr Kroll’s system.
Mr Kroll’s death was suspected to be due to an overdose after police found his body without signs of trauma and with drug paraphernalia nearby.
He was reportedly found face down on his bed, and police noted signs of what appeared to be cocaine and heroin in the flat.
Mr Kroll’s friends and family remembered him as a kind, talented young man.
His former fiancé Maggie Neuwald told the New York Post after his death that he had struggled with the pace of the tech industry.
“It’s not like anyone hands you … a manual of how to deal with [success],” she said. “That probably, unfortunately, got the best of him, although I had hoped he’d be able to fight those demons.”
Last year, the Centers for Disease Control found synthetic opioid-related overdose death rates had risen by 45% on average across the country in one year.
Mr Kroll had been named CEO of the HQ Trivia mobile app in September. He founded the game with Rus Yusupov.
The live trivia game became hugely popular, although its appeal waned last year. The free app was guest-hosted by some famous faces, including Jimmy Kimmel and Bert from Sesame Street.
Vine was a popular a six-second video streaming service that Twitter purchased in 2012 for $ 30m (£24m) and eventually discontinued in 2016.
Nairobi, Kenya — American— one of at least 21 people who were killed when gunmen from the terror group Al-Shabab stormed a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi on Tuesday — survived the 9/11 attacks and gave up his Wall Street career to help others in developing countries.
On Thursday, Spindler’s parents traveled to Kenya to bring their son home.
“We knew once we heard from the embassy there was no question. We were going to come here and bring him home,” said Joseph Spindler, his father. “We also wanted to meet with all his friends and thank them.”
When news broke that armed gunmen had stormed into an upmarket complex in Nairobi, Spindler’s parents said it felt like 9/11 all over again.
“He would have rushed in and tried to help people,” Joseph said.
“Who imagines that their child is killed in a terrorist attack?” said Sarah, his mother.
But the unimaginable had happened.
After 9/11, Spindler gave up his high-powered Wall Street job to invest in developing countries, believing it was the best way to reduce terrorism.
“Jason made an impression on everybody. He was energetic. He was handsome. He was thoughtful. He was intellectual. But yet, he was also a doer, an athlete, the all-American boy,” Joseph said.
Spindler’s parents plan on establishing a foundation to carry on their son’s work. The best weapon against hatred, they say, is to inspire love.
© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
A California man was among those killed in a powerful truck bomb attack against a heavily fortified foreign compound in Kabul this week, officials said Wednesday, as the government continued investigating the blast site. The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the bomb which detonated near the Green Village compound in east Kabul on Monday. Afghan authorities have said at least four people were killed and 113 wounded.
On Wednesday an official at the U.S. embassy in Kabul said an American citizen was among the fatalities, but gave no further information.
CBS Los Angeles identified the slain American 55-year-old Manoharan “Paul” Kamaleson, of Arcadia. CBS L.A. quoted authorities who had been informed by Kamaleson’s family that he was among the victims.
Kamaleson was the chief operating officer of The First MicroFinance Bank in Afghanistan, and was doing development work in the country alongside non-governmental organizations.
The powerful blast ripped through surrounding neighbourhoods, shattering the windows of surrounding houses and shops.
It came as U.S. peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad visits the region for meetings aimed at bringing an end to the 17-year war in Afghanistan, which by some estimates was the world’s deadliest conflict zone in 2018.
Meanwhile, the Taliban have carried out near-daily attacks targeting Afghan forces, as U.S. policy in Afghanistan appears headed for a significant change. While the U.S. pushes for a negotiated truce between the Afghan government and the Taliban, President Trump indicated he will halve the number of American forces in the country.
CBS News correspondent David Martin reported before Christmas that the Pentagon was ordered to start planning the withdrawal of roughly 7,000 troops from the war-torn country — almost half of which remains under Taliban control.
The former top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has warned that withdrawing so many of the U.S. forces from the country would reduce the incentive for the Taliban to negotiate a peace deal after more than 17 years of war. Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal said the U.S. had, “basically traded away the biggest leverage point we have.”
U.S. officials believe a drone strike killed one of the terrorists behind the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen.was wanted in connection with the deaths of 17 Americans who died in the attack on Oct. 12, 2000.
U.S. forces conducted a precision airstrike targeting al-Badawi on January 1 in the Marib governorate, said Capt. Bill Urban, a Central Command spokesperson. He said officials are still assessing the results to confirm his death.
In 2003, a grand jury indicted Al-Badawi with 50 counts of various terrorism charges, including the murder of U.S. nationals and military personnel. He was also charged with attempting to attack a U.S. Navy vessel in January 2000.
Al-Badawi was later convicted of plotting, preparing and helping carry out the attack on the USS Cole. He was sentenced to death but his sentence was later reduced to 15 years in prison, the Associated Press reported.
Al-Badawi, who was listed on the FBI’s most wanted terrorists list, escaped from prison in 2003 and was recaptured more than a year later. He managed to escape a second time in February 2006, according to the FBI.
David Martin contributed to this report.